Sunday, October 20, 2013

Becoming an Anti-Dulles


Kinzer's book ought to be read by every man and woman of good will on the planet. I picked it up and could not put it down. I think part of its fascination for me was the fact that I grew up in the midst of men like the Dulles brothers: Scots-Irish Presbyterians with a Manichaean world view who never doubted for a moment that they knew what was best for everyone. And what was best for everyone was the enrichment of American corporations. Because wealth = happiness--it says so in the Bible.

I had no way of disputing that world view until, around age 12, I actually began to read the Bible. When I finally did so, I was disturbed by the fact that my reading of the sacred text was often at odds with the prevailing interpretation of people in my church and social milieu. Then, in my late 20's-early 30's, I began to read Tolstoy. To my surprise, he read the Bible like I did and drew very similar lessons from it. Now I was in trouble.

I understood deep down that I was not a Christian--had never been one--at least not of the kind I had always known. I could not mouth the creeds of the church any longer nor sing the national anthem nor pledge allegiance to the flag. With Tolstoy, I was a citizen of the world--and I would never relinquish my citizenship, not even for God or country. I am an anti-Dulles living in the world the Dulles brothers and their ilk have built.

Rouse up, O Young Men of the New Age! Set your foreheads against the
ignorant hirelings! For we have hirelings in the Camp, the Court, and
the University, who would, if they could, for ever depress mental, and
prolong corporeal war.

No comments:

Post a Comment